More than Money
How to get money, resources and skills from Australian businesses
Community-business partnerships can take many forms but authentic partnerships do always have one thing in common: they are a collaboration of organisations and individuals working together to solve the social, economic and environmental problems facing us every day.
That all sounds great doesn't it, but what does it mean?
This book will help step you through the process of scoping possible partnership targets, approaching a business, working with them, evaluating the results of your partnership and - finally - winding up or reinventing your partnership. It's not an easy journey, but a very worthwhile one.
- Partnership models
- Have we got the time?
- Have we got the right people to manage it?
- Are we committed to it?
- Will the outputs outweigh the inputs?
- What have we got to give?
- Knowing your worth
- Do they have anything to give?
- Who do they partner with now?
- Check their partnership guidelines
- Values match
- Reference checks
- Partnership assessment template
- Chambers of commerce
- Business clubs
- Services clubs
- Use your contacts
- Find out what the business wants
- What do you want and what can you give?
- Put the proposal in their language
- Give them plenty of time
- Don't push too hard
- Keep it simple
- Tell them what you have done!
- Demonstrate that you are a good operator
- Because it's worth it
- Partnership planning workshop
- Next steps
- Document, document, document
- Partnership agreement
- Progress report
- Financial/budget report
- Communications/event evaluation
- Other useful documents
- Formal communication
- Informal communication
- Defined points of contact
- Pick up the phone!
- Ask for feedback and give it in return
- If you think they MIGHT need to know then they DO need to know
- Say thank you
- Special invitations
- Invite and involve
- Why should we tell people?
- When should we tell people?
- What should we tell people?
- How can we tell people?
- Who should we tell?
- What can we celebrate?
- How to celebrate
- A checklist to gauge the health of your partnership
- Tips for spotting if your partnership is on rocky ground
- Addressing conflict
- Stand by your mates
- Tips for success
- It's time to go if...
- Premature parting
- Questions for your final review
- Appendix 1: 50 tips for finding and keeping the right partner
- Appendix 2: Partnership Assessment Template
- Appendix 3: Benefits List (Example)
- Appendix 4: Progress Report
Download a sample
$36 (inc GST)
Includes FREE postage within Australia
(Shipped Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Our Community has published an entire series of "how-to" guides that can help with your marketing, governance and fundraising needs.Download a summary brochure